Thursday, February 28, 2013

My response to Joe Littlewood's question

Question: What do you think product placements role is in television?

I think that product placement in TV is a necessary evil in a sense depending on how you look at it. First off, I want to say that I don't like product placement or shameless plugs for a product in a TV show or series. Whenever I see an obvious plug for something in my favorite show, I feel it can be distracting and even take away from the story of the show.

Take for instance the show "The Walking Dead".

This show is immensely popular right now and everyone is watching including myself but I find that the blatant product placements in the show draw away from the realism. It’s supposed to be a post-zombie apocalypse word where the main characters can scarcely find food, water or ammo and they are driving around in a sparkling new Hyundai SUV? Then you have the camera angels where the Hyundai badge on the car is framed to be right in the center of the screen? It seems a little ridiculous to me and reminds me that I am not part of this dramatic story but just some guy sitting on his couch watching a TV show that is trying to sell him a car. This kind of advertising can ruin the stories realism and the connection with the audience.

But on the other hand, these product plugs help the show in the financial sense.

The amount of money that Hyundai must be paying AMC to have the characters ride around in their new car must be huge sum of money which can be spent on improving the theatrical aspects of the show such as costumes, scenery or special effects. All these things help to improve the experience of the view and make the show more fun to watch. So while the product placements can take away from the show, they can also add to it in an indirect fashion. 

Are there any aspects or entertainment that isn’t affected by advertising? 

No comments:

Post a Comment