Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Personalized Advertisements

There has been a lot in the news over keeping personal information secret especially the information that makes it onto the Internet. With all the controversy over sites like Facebook taking your personal information and selling it to advertising agencies so that they can formulate personalized ads, i figured I would make a post about it.

Many people say that using their personal information in order to specify ads toward them, is an invasion of privacy and should not be allowed. This does seem a little bit "big brother" if you ask me and I initially thought it to be weird the idea of personalized ads but after a while, I changed my mind on the subject.

The way I see it, there is no way we can escape the effects of advertising. You can’t walk into a single store or watch a single episode of your favorite TV show without being bombarded with different ads. This idea applies even more to the internet in my opinion. I think the internet has the highest volume of ads seen compared to the amount of time you spend on it compared to any other form of media. So if I am going to have to sit through all these ads, they might as well be something I am interested in.

I would rather see an ad for tickets to my favorite band because I "liked" them on Facebook rather than an ad trying to sell me something couldn't care less about. Some ads might be useful and let me know about a sale my favorite clothing store is having right now that I would never have known about and I would rather have to see those kinds of ads completely random ones. 

Do you think personalized ads are good or bad? Why?       

   

No comments:

Post a Comment